Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore
Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore
Solicitor, England and Wales (non-practising)
Doris Chia is a strategic advisor and skilled litigator with expertise in civil & commercial litigation, arbitration and dispute resolution, defamation law, contract law, insurance law, company law and property law and other areas of law. She has appeared before the Singapore Court of Appeal, the High Court and the State Court for a wide variety of cases, some of which were landmark legal decisions (click here to see some of the cases). Doris was formerly a partner in Harry Elias Partnership and David Lim & Partners LLP.
With more than 30 years of experience in civil and commercial litigation work. Doris’ strength is in providing strategic legal advice to a diverse range of clients to help them achieve their goals. Doris has given legal advice to and acted for multinational corporations (MNCs), small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and individuals. She has clients from Singapore, India, People’s Republic of China, Hong Kong, Thailand, the Philippines, Malaysia, Cambodia, Australia, France and the USA.
Doris is widely recognised as a leading litigator and authority on defamation law in Singapore. Doris has authored three legal textbooks as follows: “Halsbury’s Laws of Singapore Volume 8(2A) – Defamation (2020 Issue, Lexis Nexis)”, “Defamation: Principles and Procedure in Singapore and Malaysia” (1st edition, 2016 Ed, LexisNexis) and “Evans on Defamation in Singapore and Malaysia” (3rd edition, 2008 Ed, LexisNexis). These defamation textbooks have been cited in various court judgments in Singapore and Malaysia. (see below). Her views on defamation are regularly sought by the media and she has been quoted by The Straits Times, Today, The New Paper and Channel News Asia. Doris is always in demand as a speaker for talks and regularly conducts classes for journalists on defamation and media law.
Doris is passionate about giving back to society, especially in the area of legal education as she believes that knowledge empowers. She gives pro bono talks on many different legal issues.
She is the Editor of the 4th Edition of “You & the Law” (2011). The book is a community project by the Singapore Association of Women Lawyers (SAWL) to simplify important areas of law for the layman. Proceeds from the sale of the book go to the Tan Ah Tah-SAWL Fund for the physically disabled and needy students.
Defamation textbooks written by Doris Chia
Cases where Judges have referred to her defamation textbooks
- Continental Steel Pte Ltd v Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Southeast Asia Pte Ltd  SGHC 292
- Lee Hsien Loong v Leong Sze Hian  4 SLR 1128, High Court
- Peguam Negara Malaysia v Mkini Dotcom Sdn Bhd & Anor  2 MLJ 652, Federal Court (Putrajaya)
- Terrence Fernandez v Lim Shao Ying Genevieve and another  SGHC 278, High Court
- Noor Azman bin Azemi v Zahida bt Mohamed Rafik  3 MLJ 141, Federal Court (Putrajaya)
- Ezion Holdings Ltd v Credit Suisse AG  3 SLR 356, High Court
- Synergistic Duo Sdn Bhd v Lai Mei Juan  9 MLJ 697, High Court (Kuala Lumpur)
- Qingdao Bohai Construction Group Co, Ltd and others v Goh Teck Beng and another  4 SLR 977, High Court
- Golden Season Pte Ltd and others v Kairos Singapore Holdings Pte Ltd and another  2 SLR 751, High Court
- Hady Hartanto v Yee Kit Hong and others  2 SLR 1127, High Court
- Lee Hsien Loong v Roy Ngerng Yi Ling  SGHC 230, High Court
- Low Tuck Kwong v Sukamto Sia  1 SLR 639, Court of Appeal
- Zhu Yong Zhen v AIA Singapore Pte Ltd and another  SGHC 37, High Court
- Segar Ashok v Koh Fonn Lyn Veronica and another suit  SGHC 168, High Court
- Kay Swee Pin v Singapore Island Country Club and others  SGHC 175, High Court
- Review Publishing Co Ltd and another v Lee Hsien Loong and another appeal  1 SLR 52, Court of Appeal
- Chan Chin Cheung v Chan Fatt Cheung and others  1 SLR 1192, Court of Appeal
- Lim Eng Hock Peter v Lin Jian Wei and another  2 SLR(R) 1004, High Court
- ABZ v Singapore Press Holdings Ltd  4 SLR(R) 648